Scope of Services
Besides our activities in using UAV for remote visual inspection, our firm develops tailor-made efficient and robust technology for sensor-based Structural Health Monitoring applications.
We have developed our own monitoring system based on standard microcontroller hardware, adding sensor interface boards and custom-made data acquisition software. The systems are based on standard Linux components and integrate a wide range of sensor types.
The ASPIRE app developed for the Android mobile operating system allows to employ standard smartphone and tablet devices for monitoring tasks.
More information on the systems, their features and performance is available upon request
Our sensor-based monitoring systems have been employed for measurements at the following structures:
- Continuous tilt monitoring of St Marien Church tower in Freiburg/U. Deployment of system and data analysis.
- 3rd Orinoco Bridge, Venezuela. Analysis of 5 years of site wind recordings.
- Schindgraben Bridge. Monitoring of vibrations during blasts at nearby mining pit and assessment of structural safety. Development of Smartphone App for vibration measurements, signal analysis and structural assessment
- Continuous monitoring of large roof girders in fabrication facilities
- Miscellaneous suspension bridges in Rwanda and Nicaragua
- External post-tensioning tendons
We are actively cooperating with a sensor developer to bring the technology to more structures in the future.
Related Scientific Publications:
- Rau, S., Morgenthal, G., An assessment framework for sensor-based detection of critical structural conditions with consideration of load uncertainty, Structures 12 (2017), pp. 168-178
- Morgenthal, G., Rau, S., Taraben, J., Abbas, T., Determination of stay cable forces using highly mobile vibration measurement devices, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 23 (2018)
- Chawdhury, S., Morgenthal, G., Numerical simulations of aeroelastic instabilities to optimize the performance of flutter-based electromagnetic energy harvesters, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 2017, pp.1-17
- Morgenthal G., Hallermann, N., Strukturidentifkation und Monitoring mit Smartphone-basierten Sensorsystemen (Structural Identification and Monitoring Using Smartphone Based Sensor Systems), Bautechnik, Messtechnik im Bauwesen, 4/2013, pp. 25-29
- Park, J., Morgenthal, G., Kim, K., Kwon, S., Law, K., Power Evaluation for Flutter-based Electromagnetic Energy Harvester Using CFD Simulations, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Submitted
- Morgenthal, G., Höpfner, H., The application of smartphones to measuring transient structural displacements, Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring,10/2012, pp. 1-13
- Höpfner, H., Morgenthal, G., Schirmer, M., Naujoks, M., Halang, C. On measuring mechanical oscillations using smartphone sensors: possibilities and limitation, SIGMOBILE Mob. Comput. Commun. Rev. 17, 4 (December 2013), pp. 29-41.
- Morgenthal, G., Utilising Smartphone Technology for Bridge Monitoring, PLSE Hong Kong, 2012
- Morgenthal, G., The Application of smartphones in bridge inspection and monitoring, Proceedings of IABSE Symposium, Seoul, 2012